Total Pageviews

Friday, October 3, 2008

Day 26 - rome

I suppose one of the things one is obliged to do when in Italy is to visit Rome. I wish I hadn't ... we took a train from nearby our Villa in order to avoid driving in Rome. When we got to the subway it was jam packed and I was targeted by a group of pick pockets and they got my wallet, about $300 euro, two credit cards which I immediately cancelled, my ID including drivers licence which means I can't drive. And there is nothing absolutely nothing you can do about it short of not carrying a wallet or tucking it inside your shirt. When you are marked it is difficult to escape.
But there is nothing I can do until I get home so I carry on.
In Rome we visited the Vatican and the Collisseum which are both very impressive. Not impressive enough mind you to offset the loss of my money and ID but they are quite something in terms of their size and grandeur. I'm depressed but will get over it but  I expect a  couple of weeks of serious hassles as a result of this.  I'm also real pissed with myself since I'm a veteran traveller and should have taken appropriate protection. Until the  night before I never once put my money or credit cards in my wallet and for some reason I did which I can't explain other than I'm stupid. And sure enough this was a key mistake. They always go for the wallet and that is why I don't carry credit cards or money in my wallet .. a lesson learned. 
The pictures tell some of the story of Rome. I'm not sure you can get a sense of the sure size of these places from the pictures but I'll try.
Till next post .. only 3 behind now.

No comments:

Post a Comment