Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Day 31 - Market at Panzano

We went to the market this morning and although it wasn't the kind of market I particularly enjoy it still was still worth the trip. I don't really like the markets that are more focused on antiques and clothes and leather goods ... I like food markets and the arts crafts type market and there wasn't much food or crafts in this market at least not at the beginning. I took a bunch of interesting pictures and then came back to the very beginning where there was a place selling roasted chickens .. one of the few food places. I noticed in the corner of this fellow's oven a stick loaded up with Porcetta and bought a couple. Was it ever tasty. They had carmalized with a little bit of burnt meat on the tips. I'm sitting on a bench with all the old Nona's and catch a glimse of a little side street where there appears to be a cheese shop. So I go exploring and find a half dozen little food booths selling all kinds of delicious morsels of which I took a pile of pictures of course. And a guy selling necklaces made out of precious stones and leather of all things. I talked to this guy for about 20 minutes and he explained how his wife makes these things. This is what I enjoy.
I also struck up a conversation with one guy ( standing with Linda in the first picture ) and he spoke enough english to explain that he and his wife make everything that he sells, mostly cheeses but also a huge hunk of Sopresatta made mostly from the head of a pig. ( but not head cheese as we would find in Canada... quite different and hard to explain).   I've never tasted anything like that before and when everyone caught up with me they bought some for dinner tonight. We also bought some Porcetta (from the shop where Dario sells his meats) for dinner that was as sweat as candy.... and my friend in the picture did not let us down ... the cheeses and the Parcetta made the meal. Don't know the names of any of the cheeses since I instantly forget anything in Italian that is spoken to me but they were some good.
Till tomorrow .. caoi.

No comments:

Post a Comment