Total Pageviews

Friday, July 29, 2011

Musee de L'orangerie



Six great intellectuals recently described the museum chosen and arranged by Claude Monet to showcase his “testamentary” masterpieces as “Unique in its genre”. Next to the Nymphéas, “the haven of peaceful meditation”, a gift to modern man with his “overworked nerves”, the Orangerie offers a fabulous concentration of masterpieces from the Jean Walter and Paul Guillaume Collection, a highly original insight into modern art featuring Cézanne, Renoir, Picasso, Rousseau, Matisse, Derain, Modigliani, Soutine, Utrillo and Laurencin.

It is also impossible to truly capture the essence of Monet's Nympheas with a camera. First they are massive in size, second the colours are very subtle and all things considered are relatively dark and last there are always a number of tourists in the way although we went first thing in the morning on a weekday so I was actually able to keep most tourists out of my photo's.

This was by far the best Museum that I visited and it will take a number of posts to relay my visit to my blog. I will only post the one small glimpse of Monet's masterpiece ( above ) with this posting. At the last minute I went back and just photographed the heads of the various people depicted in the paintings by the others on exhibit. When I reviewed them this morning I found them quite striking and will start with these instead of with the Nympheas.

Life is good ... enjoy

Auto Guru in Europe


















































































No comments:

Post a Comment