Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

One more sleep

One more Sleep.
Well I managed to get all my work done and out the door so the office folks are now on their own. I actually checked out of the office mentally a few days ago but not physically. Everyone will get along just fine while I'm away. I got dozens of phone calls today about Harper giving Ford (bribing) a pile of money to stay in Windsor and didn't answer one of them. It was great.
Sister Bonnie and Tom are scheduled into Richmond Hill at any time ( dinner time ) and I've ordered up a crane to get her luggage into the house. I told Tom that it may have been easier to just go to The Home Depot and buy a couple of big handles and to then bolt them onto the side of the house. It would save trying to pack everything into a couple of suitcases. Actually I should talk!!! I've been piling things up on the dining room table for the past week and it is amazing just how much stuff I'd like to take. Will cull the pile down quite a bit tonight as I also pack.I found it interesting to see how much electronic equipment is de rigour for a trip these days. First is my computer, then my really good SLR camera but I also bring a small pocket digital for when I don't want to carry my big camera around, in fact I have two of these smaller cameras, I'm also bringing my Crackberry so that I can get the odd e-mail ( Don't even think of e-mailing me!!) but in an emergency I wanted to be able to reach the office. I picked up a pocket sized hard drive for downloading pictures each night so that I didn't have to leave them on my cameras and as a safety valve just in case a camera was stolen etc ... then there is the video camera that I picked up on frequent flyer points ( see we seem to always get back to these darn Aeroplan points) although I may not take it. I got it a year ago on one of the specials that Aeroplan sends around but have NEVER used it and it is coming up on a full year. I'm one of these guys that feel awkward taking video's indeed I feel real stupid so that may not make the cut. Add in all the chargers for this equipment and a transformer to convert Europe electrical to North Ameria electrical and you have way too much stuff to take. But I'm definitely going to bring my high end tripod this trip. I took a cheap tri pod to Paris last year when I was there on business and wished I had brought a good one. Still got some good pics but my tripod was way to flimsy to take the kind of shots I was trying to take.
I'm going to do some night photography in Paris, after all they call it the City of Lights don't they? and a good solid tripod is critical. I bought an ultra light carbon fibre one a few weeks back ( yes I know somedays I have more money than brains but what the heck) and have been experimenting with it and quite like it. I have a good friend in London ( John Kime ) who pointed me to a web site that sells professional tripod equipment and I also picked up a really cool head for this tripod. ( John likes to spend my money and I don't need any encouragement thank you very much). I'll post some of these night photos to give you a taste of Paris at night.
The other thing that I'm very interested in is taking some pictures while up in the hot air balloon. Oh I didn't tell you? I booked a two hour hot air balloon ride while in Champagne country on my birthday of all days. A little present to myself. And I'm real excited about it, especially the photo opportunity. Punch into Wikedepia the name 'Pilatre de rozier' and see why I'm interested in hot air ballooning! I hope to get some great photos while up there and I think the tripod will help with this adventure as well. We are staying at the Chateau de Fere between Reims and Epernay in the middle of Champagne country. If you want to see a spectacular place to stay then google 'Chateau de Fere' and check them out. Their website is really neat and the opening picture tells the whole story. I visited this place back in 1984 and am really looking forward to going back... three star restaurant, wine cellar to die for, lovely grounds to explore etc etc. When I was on their website booking my rooms I noticed a picture of some hot air balloons setting up so sent them a note and asked if this could be arranged. Turns out the Balloonist's leave from their property so it is real convenient and I've always wanted to go up in one of these contraptions so I booked. On September 12'th at about 10:00 am Toronto time look up in the air and see if you can see my up there ... Just Kidding.
Well my doorbell just rang and it must be Bun and Tom. Will take some pictures of their arrival and then post this blog entry. Added some more pictures from my trip in 1997 as well.
Till Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment