Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Arrival Day June 2'nd

Just a short note to let everyone know that I arrived safely in Paris this morning after an uneventful flight ... the best kind. I think it is some kind of holiday in Paris today since the city is very quite and the place where I pick up my key to the apartment was closed and sent me to a little hotel across the street instead.


I got the key ok and found the apartment without any problem. My apartment is small but very nice. I haven't ventured out yet so have not explored the neighbourhood at all. Seems typical Parisian though.


You may find this hard to believe but I packed too much stuff!!! I did unpack absolutely everything and I'll be here until June 23'rd so it will give me time to sort through everything and be a little better prepared for my move to the next apartment on rue Vaugirard. I need to take lessons from Vida on how to pack ... she is an absolute pro.


I brought a bunch of stuff over for my two visits including a few copies of my book for the bank group in Vilnius Lithuania. And a bunch of Canadiana stuff for the kids and other people I'll see on this trip. I'm sure as the two months progress I'll whittle down the cache to be more manageable. 


Also I brought piles of clothes on this trips that I intend to leave behind. Linda Rovere taught me this trick. Rather than throw out those tattered jeans etc ... keep them for one last wear when you travel and then just ditch them before coming home. Saves a lot of space for the return trip.


The toughest part of getting here was the weight of all my camera equipment. I brought two cameras, a number of lens, accessories, chargers, my computer etc. Even though it is a knapsack style camera bag it was one of the heavier bags and was so jam packed that I couldn't use it as a knapsack instead having to carry it. Typical of Charles de Gaulle they parked the plane out in no mans land and put us on a bus to the terminal. No big deal but on arrival at the terminal there are multiple flights of stairs to negotiate AND I have a terrible time walking up stairs normally let alone with a heavy carry on to pull up the stairs and this camera bag that weighs a ton. Somehow I managed and all the working out over the last 5 months paid off big time. BTW my final weight loss was exactly 40 pounds ... add in the 10 I lost last year and  kept off ( I lost a lot more but put a lot of it back on in the fall ) and I'm down exactly 50 pounds from my peak weight. The challenge will be keeping it off on this trip. If I can come home and NOT put on any weight I'll be thrilled. It certainly will be hard to lose weight.


I think as the weeks go by I'll pack up a lot of this camera equipment into my checked luggage which will lighten the load considerably. I'm always terrified of my cameras and lens growing legs so I always carry them onto the plane with me rather than trust the baggage handlers at each end of the flight. My sister Bonnie had a very good camera stolen from her luggage on her way to Las Vegas from Detroit so it does happen. But I only need to carry on the critical stuff. A lot of things like the chargers etc can go into my checked luggage.


I'm not going to post any pictures with this blog but I plan on going out for a walk after a short snooze and may post some pictures tonight before going to bed.


The ride in from the airport passed right by the Tour Eiffel and my apartment is walking distance from there so I might go out and take some simple pictures to post tonight. I've also got a lot of shopping to do and may take some photo's while out picking up stuff. We'll see. I suspect that today will be very light on photography.


Please leave comments as you visit this Blog over the coming two months. It is always nice to hear from everyone back home. I'll be alone for the first 23 days so it could get a little lonely. I also encourage you to let your own network of friends know about this blog. I plan on posting lots of people pictures everyday once everyone arrives and it will be a neat way for your close friends and others to monitor your travels while in Paris. Did you hear that Bonnie?


For those coming over to visit during the last 5 weeks of this trip a quick heads up. The taxi ride in from the airport took about 20 minutes although that was mid day and there was very little traffic because of the holiday here in France. Could be longer if you come in earlier. It cost me 70 euros with tip which isn't too bad. I think the RER is about 20 Euro (after investigating I discovered it was 8.7 Euro) so if you don't mind hauling luggage around on the train you could save a little money although if there are two or three sharing a cab it is a lot easier to just take a cab and the cost difference will be minimal. My recommendation!!! ... take a taxi and don't sweat the 70 Euro.


There are always people at the airport asking if you need a cab when you exit the luggage area. DO NOT take them up on this offer since you never know who you are dealing with .. sometimes it is just someone with a car trying to make a fast buck. I didn't know better and did this on my first trip to Mexico way back in the early 1980's and the cab let me off at my hotel and took off with my luggage ... never to be seen again. It is dangerous so don't do it. Like all airports, CDG has a spot to line up for an authorized taxi and these are much safer. Even with this I always get my luggage out BEFORE paying for the taxi. Lesson learned.


Life if good ... enjoy


AUTO GURU IN EUROPE 2011

1 comment:

  1. My research indicates that Ascension Day falls on June 2 this year, that'd likely be the holiday that has things closed :-)

    ReplyDelete