Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Walk in Paris - June 7'th

Once the rain let up I went out for a very long walk .. indeed two walks but only took the camera on the first. I can't get lost this trip at least not while in Paris. My apartment is exactly 700 steps from the Tour Eiffel so when I'm out walking and want to head home all I have to do is look up ... find the Tower ... and head in that direction. And you can see the Tower from just about anywhere in Paris so I think I'm safe.


I walked to just over the Seine over the Pont Alexandre and it started to pour rain again so I sat for a few minutes, found myself to a subway and ended up at the Galerie Lafayette. I wanted to buy a European style pillow to use while in Paris. This routine of buying a pillow most trips started about 10 trips ago when I couldn't get a decent pillow where I was staying so went out and bought one. I loved it and at the time they were hard to find in Canada as well. I now have a half dozen back home but I still tend to buy one. And heading out the door to catch my flight Lucy reminded me that they are now widely available in Canada but I'm going to get one anyway.


So I headed out to buy a pillow, found them at the store but decided that since it is bulky I'd buy one of those pull carts with wheels that you see people wheeling around with their groceries. I went grocery shopping in the morning and of course discovered you needed your own bag and since I bought water and milk it was quite heavy so one of these carts will come in handy on this visit. They are not very expensive and I'll just leave it behind for the next user of the apartment.


But I couldn't find one and by the time I was finished looking I was part way home so I just came home to rest but also to google the location for the BHV which the last time I visited had just about everything one could possibly imagine. I took the subway to the BHV since it was quite far but I couldn't find the hardware store within the BHV. These stores have multiple buildings with one for women's fashion the next for men's fashion etc. But I couldn't find the one where you can buy one of these carts. I did notice a street I recognized ... rue temple ... so I walked up it and in and around a few other interesting streets and before you know it I was about half way home. Debated for ten minutes whether to walk or take the subway and decided to walk. Needless to say a tiring day but a fruitful day despite no pillow, no cart bit I did wear off some of the calories I put on in Lithuania. A grand total for the day of 32,035 steps, 2,278 calories and 9.6 miles ( this pedometer is American so measures miles ).


Now being in Paris I just had to buy a baguette on the way home and now that I'm Parisian I also broke the end off and ate it and dug into the middle soft part. I've had baguettes around the world but nobody has the ability to make them like the French ... crusty outside .. soft and moist inside. Yum, yum ... Ended up eating half the baguette by the time I got home. I needed the calories I guess. But I also bought a small piece of Comte cheese so maybe I overdid it a bit.


I think while out today I'm going to look for a weight scale. If I can find an inexpensive one I'll buy it to keep track. It is great discipline to weight in every night just to see how good and or bad you were on the day. I suspect most days will be bad.


The pictures are all from my walks during the day with no particular theme per se. Notice the overcast sky. I'm looking out my window as I type this and it is a beautiful sunny day today.


With my pictures I'm going to try to go in depth on certain themes or places. This group has a number of the Pont Alexandre for instance. It is one of the more spectacular bridges over the Seine. I've asked Laura to send a flash drive with my music files over with someone when they come and I'll add some music to this blog later in the month.... how about an old Dean Martin favourite ... "Under the Bridges of Paris"?


Life is good ... Enjoy.


Auto Guru in Europe















































No comments:

Post a Comment