Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Night Pics of Paris



I made it back to Paris from Stuttgart without incidence. The train ride is about 3 and a half hours and I swear I worked on pictures for about 3 hours of that time. Thus the ability to post as many pictures as I did related to this side trip to Stuttgart. I actually walked to the train station in Stuttgart that morning. Although found very few places to sit while I waited for the train so my timing could have been better.

Once in Paris I rested .... I know 'shame on me' but all that running around in Stuttgart did wear me down a little. (and I am over 60 you know) I did feel guilty and wanted to make sure I had some pictures to post every day so at about 10:30 I went for a long walk with my 'good' camera ... it weights a ton but is an incredible machine. I wanted to take some night pics WITHOUT a tripod ( I did bring one but wanted to test taking pics without it ) and of course having sat on a train all day I needed to get my steps in as well. 

My goal is 20,000 steps a day on average with no day being less than 10,000 steps. I'm currently at 19,922 so with one decent long walk I'll be back on track. The 10K steps a day is easy .. it is the extra 10K that can be difficult. A straight walk of 20K steps is over 3 hours for me just to give you a sense of the size of this challenge. I also put on a little weight while away and want to get back down to my weight when I left Canada. There isn't any workout equipment here so my choice is NOT eating (good luck!) or walking a lot. Guess what I choose? The issue with weight will ultimately come down to whether to savour the bread, fois gras and cheese or not. I'm not a big sweets and desserts eater at home so they are easier to resist but "bread, fois gras and cheese" that is another matter. I picked up a small little soft cheese called "Petit Gaugry" at the Marche Barbe last week and left it out on the counter before going to bed last night. I just opened it and wow. Indeed double wow wow. It is only about 2 inches across and a half inch high but I just cut into it and at the first bite .... l looked down on the plate and it is slowly spreading across the plate as it melts away. Gosh darn I'm going to have to eat it all or it will run away on me. Maybe 25,000 steps a day is a better goal to set. The first picture is on this cheese and the second is from last week ... both spectacular. 





Now do you understand my problem?

I was reasonably pleased with these pictures although I'm going to head out one of these nights with my tripod so that I can use a lower ISO and a longer exposure to try to get a little more precision with each picture. With the size of pictures they allow on this blog readers of this blog can't tell the difference but on my apple there is still some camera shake even with a high ISO. There is also some graininess that I think I can eliminate.

Paris is called the "city of light" and you can appreciate that much better by doing a midnight stroll down the Seine. Many of the famous sites are lit up and over the length of this stay I'm going to try to capture all of them in the glory of the late evening dark. Of course, living under the Tour Eiffel I have almost no choice but to pick up a picture of this famous site with virtually every outing.

Life is good ... enjoy.

Auto Guru in Europe


















3 comments:

  1. Dennis, pictures are GREAT, we really enjoy them! We seem to take the same kind of pictures, except you have better cameras.
    Looks like you are really enjoying all that Europe has to offer, especially the food. Keep up the good work and will look forward to more stories and pics. Wish we were there!
    LOL
    Linda and Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paris really is the city of lights; it looks so spectacular at night and I'm looking forward to an evening cruise on the Seine ...

    Try having the cheese with fruit sans pain (HA!) ... a delicious pear or apple? Are there raspberries yet? The melons in the markets are also amazing - the small dark green ones ...

    Vida

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you bought enough foie gras there...

    I think the night photos are quite successful.

    ReplyDelete