Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Morning Walk in Vilnius Lithuania - Day 2


Not  a lot to say and I'm tired from a long, indeed very long day. I did turn right from my hotel this morning rather than left so many of these will be different. I did however eventually end up down by the little river again so some will look familiar as you go along. I did take my long angle lens with me this morning as well as my normal lens so even though some pictures may be of the same thing the perspective should be different.

The old town of Vilnius is littered with churches almost all catholic. Why so many is beyond me although most were built with private money so I suspect it was wealthy families trying to buy their way into the good graces of the pope. There are actually situations where two catholic churches are beside each other! I counted 14 different ones in my walks and during our drives around the old city but I may be wrong on that since it is hard to keep track

I have at least two maybe three other posts to do related to my trip to Vilnius but it is very late and I have an important seminar to give tomorrow so I have to go to bed. With the time it is going to take to work on all the pictures it could be a while before I finish with Lithuania let alone start on Paris. I do have almost 8 hours to kill getting back to Paris tomorrow with flights and waits between flights so I'll pick a them and see if I can come up with another posting in the near term ... maybe two.

Auto Guru in Europe




















































1 comment:

  1. So your hotel is at the "top" of the Old Town, near Ausros Vartai? (The Gates of Dawn with the chapel of the gold Madona)

    Lots of familiar sites and yes, Lithuania embraced Catholicism in a BIG way and yet culturally have never let go completely the pagan superstition parts...

    I spoke with both Audrone and T & E this morning and they really enjoyed their visits with you.

    Looking forward to more photos. I've sent Simon & Jules some you tube links on Lt. so that they can get a glimpse of what to expect site-wise.

    Vida

    ReplyDelete