Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Marche Aux Oiseaux


My search for interesting markets in Paris continues. Only open Sunday (I'm a few days behind on pictures and since it is raining I might be able to catch up today) is the Bird market. In 1994 when I visited Europe with my two older sisters, Mary Lou and Betty Anne we actually stumbled on this market and coming back brought memories of a great trip. Both sisters are gone now so this was extra special for me.

Established sellers at this market are arrayed against the back of two long green buildings that look like war relics. They are selling their big birds, sacks of seed, elaborate cages, equipment for raising birds, medicine and books about classifying songbirds. I was intrigued by the bird seed with one booth selling over 50 different kinds by my count. I bought a litre of the cheapest feed ( .2 Euro was all ... 20 cents ) and later fed the birds in front of Notre Dame. This place also had on the ground two boxes of sawdust which revealed a squirming mass of orange coloured meal worms and a darker thinner worm. I guess this is the 'tartare' of the avian diet.

In behind the bird market are permanent stands for selling flowers and plants. I understand that this market specializes in flowers the other 6 days of the week. I finally found an inexpensive vase so I might come back for flowers mid week. One of the things I swore to myself that I would do is have fresh flowers in the apartment. I bought two Orchid plants earlier in my stay but now that I have a vase I'm also going to buy fresh cut flowers.

I also just moved to my new apartment and there are a number of vases ... so there will be lots of flowers.

Life is good ... enjoy

Auto Guru in Europe
































2 comments:

  1. Nicely snuck in picture of that old, pristine Citroen! Looks like you're having a wonderful time -you deserve it, Dennis.
    -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to be a bird in paris!! I love the idea of fresh flowers - how civilized!! Love reading your blog and seeing the pics - many bring back great memories - your blog has become a daily ritual. Wish we were there with you - ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY

    ReplyDelete