Total Pageviews

Monday, June 20, 2011

Rue DesRosiers for my Yiddish friends




Of course this is one of my favourite streets in Paris. I can't imagine why?

This street is located in the Marais district of Paris. Marais was once a swamp, and was developed in the 12th century. It has medieval architecture and narrow roads. This district was a favorite of Henry IV. He built Place Royale in 1605-1612 and later this area became known as Place des Vosges which is one of the oldest in Paris, and Paris’'s first attempt at urban planning. Notably when Hausmann re-designed Paris he started with the Arc De Triomphe and worked his way down the Champs Elysees and Rue de Rivoli levelling and rebuilding everything in his path. I think they ran out of money before reaching the Marais district so it was left intact. So it is one of the few places in Paris where you can see the original architecture from days gone by and as you can imagine it is a bit of a rabbit warren.


The Rue DesRosiers also lies at the center of the Jewish quarter unofficially called "the Pletzl" (Yiddish for "little place"). Now I'm not Jewish but my jewish friends of which I have many would love this neighbourhood.

During the last decade or so, it has become notable for fashion which I tried to capture in some of the pictures although I was attempting to capture more of the Yiddish element so when I reviewed my pictures last night there was more of this element than the fashion element but trust me there were a lot of trendy clothes stores as well. The quaint boutiques of days-gone-by have given way to gleaming minimalist showrooms for some of Europe’s trendiest labels.


Being Yiddish they do NOT follow the Western holiday schedules so Rue DesRosiers shops have become the meeting point for Parisians who want to eat out and shop on Sunday or as I'm told even Christmas or any other Christian holiday of which there are many in France.

Life is good ... Enjoy.

Auto Guru in Europe























2 comments:

  1. How was the Jewish food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dennis
    Nice to see that you are enjoying yourself in Europe and that you continue to expand your horizons. Particularly on the food issue!!
    Am enjoying your blog so keep sending updates
    All The Best
    Ray Datt

    ReplyDelete